Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Real Matrices Are Much Scarier

I am willing to say without reservation that I was a fan of all three Matrix movies, despite the incredible amount of ill-will directed towards the last two. While I had to use my imagination to dredge out much of the overly-simplified philosophical/religious/psychological meaning from the machine-gunning machine guns, partially-obscured dismemberments, and strangely calming bullet-time fight scenes, it was there to be digested. In case the preceding ridiculous sentence structure over-stimulated the reader's inferior frontal gyrus to the point of OMGWTF, I will repeat in boring-simple-talk: I believe that Revolutions had intelligent content.

As the post title might imply, real matrices, a.k.a. the mat
h ones, are my current research focus. In learning how to model (read on, perv) populations of biological beings utilizing matrices, I found that they are the key to all other modeling problems. While such problems can more intuitively be solved using less specialized methods (i.e. ones understandable through basic algebra), matrices allow more compact and centralized data as well as fairly straightforward manipulation of said data.

Unfortunately, they're dang hard to get an intuitive grasp of. I read about them, think I understand the formulae involved
, go on to apply what I think I know, and inevitably find myself referencing the dreaded 'Pedia once again because I completely spaced on the order of the determinant's equation. -Pttb,- I sputter. -Pttb.- I say, use 'em and lose 'em, but don't let them get too far away, or they might find their way to Hollywood, and...Oh, right. That happened. Hmm. Right. Hmm.

Absolutely excellent web-comic, right here:

I read the full 5 years' worth of comics in a day, and then accidentally read the first 2 years again the next day before I even realized what I was doing. Well-written, well-drawn, daily plot development, and no annoying fourth-wall humour that plagues most webcomics expected to publish consistently and often. What's more, it's completely original, as in not based off of anything, unlike 8-Bit Theater, Order of the Stick, or the countless other DnD/FF-inspired spin-offs. It's also really refreshing to have a main character whose only talent is knowing things (at first, but I won't spoil things for anyone!).

And yes, she has tusks. It's awesome. I'll catch ya later, after you've finished the archives.


"I think we should stop trying to rob someone who can see the future."
- Bumper, character from Dominic Deegan, hanging from a trap alongside his murderous associate, Stunt

No comments: